Friday, April 1, 2011

The Great Aqua Lung Fire of Twenty Eleven

Well this definitely wasn't on the Tasmanian Tourist Brochure. Today a fire broke out down the street from my house at a Scuba Diving store.

I got there just before the fire trucks showed up - because first on the scene, like always, are looky-loos.


Here they come now, ready to do battle with the blaze.



Right about here is when my flatmate rang me because he saw the smoke from his work. I think he thought I was burning the house down. Not today anyways.



The owners didn't appear to be around anywhere so the fire dudes cut this hole in their garage door to get in. Pretty awesome.


The skater kids loved it. You know when you see fireworks and one guy in the crowd starts going OOOOH and AAAAAH and pretty soon everyone is. I wanted to be that guy, but maybe it was a little unappropriate.


Sweet fireball going on there. While watching I thought of a bunch of songs with fire in the lyrics:

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
We didn't start the fire - Billy Joel?
Fire and Ice - Pat benetar
that's fire burning - rebel spell
the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire! - i dunno who sings that
Can't start a fire without a spark - The boss
...and many more Im sure. Leave a message in the comments if you can think of any others.



I don't think I could make a good fireman. I'd grab people's stuff inside.


total media frenzy. wish I had a TV so i could watch it on the news, I walked in front of everyones cameras.


"Man, I could go for a cigarette right about now"

To get an idea of how close the chaos was, this picture was taken from my house out the upstairs window. Afterwards I went to pick up some groceries and like half an hour later there was still just as many people standing and watching. Nothing else to do on a saturday I guess.

So that was interesting anyways. I haven't done a blog in a while because I have been busy making art and junk. On monday I'm going to see about setting up a solo show at a skate board shop, and I am busy making a triptych for a cafe, all on top of my regular school artwork. Busy busy!

I went to this thing called the Power Plant at the botanical gardens here in town. Its a sculpture/light/fog show which fills the whole gardens. I should have brought a camera because it was way cool, but cest la vie.

And now for something truly Canadian, and something weirdly Australian:



I got pancake batter like 3 weeks ago and had no syrup. Then I found this gem at the grocery store today and got that warm fuzzy feeling inside.



And then there's this: Smith's chicken chips. Not BBQ chicken, not roasted chicken, just chicken flavoured chips. What really disturbes me is the "Farm to Pack in 48 hours on average" sign on the bag. Is that the potatos or the chickens? I know you're wondering, but they just taste like regular plain chips, tho I did find a feather in the bag. Mysterious...

No comments:

Post a Comment